Monday, 22 December 2014

Cyprus: to those who say it is not Greek



 Η Κύπρος προς τους λέγοντας ότι δεν είναι ελληνική 
Μες τούτον το κυνόστομον της γης αγκαλιασμένη
από κρατεί την θάλασσαν 'πό δώθθε σταλωμένη
είμαι μες τούτην την γωνιάν που μ' έβαλεν η φύσις
η πρώτη της Ανατολής τζ̌ ' η ύστερη της Δύσης…

Τζ̌ ' όσοι τζˇ ' αν ήρταν πάνω μου ανέμοι τζ̌ ' αν εδώσαν
ήτουν οι ρίζες μου βαθκιά τζ̌αι δεν μ' εξερριζώσαν
Ερίψασιν τα φύλλα μου, ερίψαν τους αθθούς μου
εκαταφατσελλώσαν με τζ̌ ' εκάψαν τους πολούς μου
εσείσαν με τζ̌ ' εκλίναν με τζ̌ ' εκόψαν τα κλωνιά μου
μ' αππέσσω στέκεται γερή η ρίζα τζ̌ ' η καρκιά μου…

Τζ̌ ' αν πκιω νερόν 'πού το νερόν απού 'μουν ποτισμένη
τζ̌ ' αν με συβράσ' ο ήλιος μου που μ' έσˇ εν μαθημένην
έν' να πετάξω πλόκαμον, να ξαναπρασινίσω
να βκάλω φύλλα τζ̌αι κλωνιά τζ̌ ' άθθούς να ξαναθθίσω
να βκάλω μάλες στιβαρές, να 'ποταυρίσω κλώνους
ν' αθθκιώ σαν άθθκιουν τζ̌ ' έλαμπα στους πρωτινούς μου χρόνους

Cyprus: to those who say it is not Greek 
Embraced on all sides, this handful of earth
Which the sea holds, immobile all around me
I stand in this corner where nature herself has placed me
The first of the East and the last of the West…

And no matter how many came and beat about me
My roots were deep and nobody uprooted me
They shook down my leaves, shook down my blossoms
They bruised me to death and cut my tender shoots
They whipped me and bent me and cut off my limbs
But my roots and heart within me still stand firm…

And should I drink the water I used to drink
And should my sun warm me as it used to do
I’d sprout new branches, I’d be green again
Sprout leaves and boughs, and blossom forth again
I’d sprout strong shoots and spread my branches wide
I’d flower with radiant blossoms as I flowered before…

Years that pass me running, not returning
Stop and look behind you, turn and stop
Gaze in the eyes of all my slanderers
And give light to their eyes so they may see me.

No comments: