Wednesday, 26 November 2008

Stelios sings Markos Vamvakaris



I tried hard to find something by Stelios Kazantzidis off youtube to commemorate the name day of St Stylianos; but all I could find were those Kazantzidis songs that make a fetish of poverty, pain and despair, which get on my nerves. I've written here about my irritation at a lot – though certainly not all – of Stelios Kazantzidis' oeuvre. It only crossed my mind after a good hour of depressing listening to Kazantzidis that I should instead use Stelios Vamvakaris singing Markos to commemorate St Stylianos and, indeed, as soon as I found what I was looking for and recognised the familiar Vamvakaris melody and humour, I was relieved and my spirits improved. So, above is Stelios performing Markos' Τα δυο σου χέρια πήρανε.

Also, in Radio Akritas, I've made available four songs sung by Stelakis Perpiniadis:

1. Οι έξι εντολές. Music and lyrics Stelakis Perpiniadis;
2. Σα φουμάρω τσιγαριλίκι. Music and lyrics Vangelis Papazoglou;
3. Χτες το βράδυ στον τεκέ μας. Music and lyrics Stelios Chrysinis; and
4. Πέντε χρόνια δικασμένος. Music and lyrics Vangelis Papazoglou.

Anyway, chronia polla to all Stylianous and Stylianes.

No comments: