Thursday, 15 November 2007

Desperate Greek Housewives



Anasia Angeli has a website called Desperate Greek Housewives, on which she says she’s going to demonstrate the art of traditional Cypriot cuisine.

According to Anasia, a fellow London-based Cypriot, DGW is:

‘Dedicated to the traditions, culture and cuisine of Cyprus, not only for Greek Cypriots worldwide but for all lovers of our unique country.

‘Many recipes are still traditional fare in the small villages where they originated. So that we do not forget them I have compiled a collection for the younger generation to help keep the spirit of Cyprus alive.

‘I am letting you into the secrets that have been passed down to me from my mother, so you can learn about our wonderful food.’

Well, these are fine sentiments indeed and the woman deserves our support. Cypriot cuisine is the best in the world and Anasia’s effort to transmit the good news is in the best Hellenic tradition of spreading civilisation to the barbarian.

However, it’s been a while since Anasia announced her admirable enterprise and people are getting hungry.

I’m also concerned that in a newsletter update just sent to subscribers, Anasia says her first lesson is not going to reveal the secrets of koubebia, koftedes or makaronia tou fournou, but will show us how to make soujouko/soushouko/shoushouko (depending on which part of Cyprus you’re from) and palouze.

Now, I must confess I don’t know what palouze is and I’d have thought making soujouko – a dried sweet made from grape juice (ideal with nuts and your favourite alcoholic aperitif, especially with Christmas and New Year approaching) – would be too complicated to make for the average person in their average kitchen.

Nevertheless, I’m still backing Anasia, so please go to her site and register. It’s free and easy.

Meantime, for those of you who can’t wait for Anasia to put on her pothkia (apron) and start cooking, I suggest you look at my posts on louvi and trahana. I also promise that my next post will be on boiled chicken and macaroni – which is possibly the best Cypriot dish going.

2 comments:

Hermes said...

You may laugh but I think this is your most important post. Why do you ask? Because it reframes the modern Greek woman to be ironic, cool, sexy but also adept at domstic affairs. Hopefully, some Greek woman somewhere will take this to its next logical step and make child rearing acceptable. We need more people like Anasia and less people like Alavanos.

john akritas said...

Hermo
I wouldn't disagree with you.